I am a socio-cultural anthropologist. My research lies at the intersection of medical anthropology, political ecology, multispecies ethnography, and science and technology studies (STS), with an empirical focus on central Africa, and on the western and central forested regions of the Democratic Republic of the Congo in particular. My research and teaching engage with issues of green imperialism, medical humanitarianism, and inequality in postcolonial Africa.
I obtained my PhD in Social Anthropology at the University of Cambridge in 2017. From 2016-18, I was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institut Pasteur (Paris) and the Laboratoire d'Anthropologie Sociale (Collège de France), and from 2018-21, I was a Research Fellow in the Department of Anthropology at Harvard University, and the Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research. In 2021, I was also a Lecturer at the New School for Social Research in New York, and a visiting Research Fellow at the Institute for Anthropological Research in Africa, at KU Leuven.
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Thinking in forests.' Chapter in Environmental Alterities, Walford & Bonelli (eds.). London: Mattering Press.
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Medical Anthropological Study on Infectious Diseases amongst the BaAka in Central African Republic.' Bangui: WWF-CAR
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Chimpanzés, jaguars et ventriloquisme ethnographique.' Cahiers d’Anthropologie Sociale
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. and Dam, H.Y. 'Primates : Introduction.' Cahiers d’Anthropologie Sociale
- Hung, Y. Law, M. Cheng, L. Abramowitz, S. Alcayna-Stevens, L. Lurton, G. Mayaka, S. Olekhnovitch, R. Kyomba, G. Ruton, H. Ramazani, S. Grepin, K. 'Impact of a free health care policy on the utilization of health services in the Democratic Republic of the Congo during an Ebola outbreak: an interrupted time-series analysis.' BMJ Global Health
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Planning for Post-Ebola: Lessons learned from DR Congo’s 9th epidemic.' New York: UNICEF C4D
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Key considerations: Équateur Province.' Social Science in Humanities Action Platform.
- Duda, R. & Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Engaging Twa communities in Équateur Province, DRC.' Social Science in Humanities Action Platform2020
- Narat, V. Alcayna-Stevens, L. Rupp, S. Giles-Vernick, T. 'Rethinking human–nonhuman primate ‘contact’ and pathogenic disease spillover.' Ecohealth
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Habituating field scientists.' Social Studies of Science
- Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Inalienable Worlds: Inter-species relations, perspectives and ‘doublethink’ in a Catalonian chimpanzee sanctuary.' Cambridge Anthropology
- Candea, M. & Alcayna-Stevens, L. 'Introduction: Internal others.' Cambridge Anthropology